Thursday, 30 April 2009

A mystery, a conundrum and an enigma. And a whole lotta WTF.

Received a call from the International School of Nice today.

Which was cool, as I only sent my CV off last night. Go me. A whoo and a hooo from the people up the back please.

The lovely lady said she is always interested in finding people who can substitute for permanent faculty members and may be interested if there are places that need filling for next year (which is Sept over here). So that all sounded good.

Then she asked if I had EU work papers – I explained that I don’t, that I have a Carte de Sejour – which is a residency card and that my understanding is, that if I get a job, it’s a matter of submitting forms to the Govt, getting a few stamps, a trip to the burning pit of hell that is the prefecture, et voila. Worker-shaped person.

However.

She said that I’d need to have my EU work papers sorted out before they could consider me.

I mentioned again that I would need to have some sort of work contract and that would enable the paperwork to begin.

She said that when they’ve hired Australian citizens, they always have to have their paperwork sorted before they leave (like M did).

I agreed with this but explained that our circumstances are slightly different as I have permission to live here.

She asked me to get it all sorted out and then let her know. ....

Soooo, if I’m following this correctly, I need to somehow get documents that allow me to work in France, documents I can’t GET, unless I have a work contract, and the people who might, hypothetically, theoretically, maybe like to employ me, won’t offer me a job unless I have the documents that allow me to work, documents I can’t GET...........

You see where this is going.

The whole thing is more cracked out than Lindsay Lohan.

It’s an enigma. And on top of my fear that my neighbours hate me, that the minestrone soup that’s been in the fridge for ages may be growing and that I may never rid this apartment of dust no matter how hard I try, this whole immigration/employment situation is doing my head in.

Righto, nothing to it. Going to watch The Little Mermaid on YouTube. Bless.

Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, It's your trek friend Katia :)

    In few words. YES you can work with your carte de sejour. It's absolutely sure and that lady just doesn't understand your status (probably they have never had an extra-UE citizen ALREADY resident in France)

    ReplyDelete