Like crack-book, the Twilight series and chocolate covered raspberries, Blogging seems to be slightly addictive.
Random bits of information for today: (I think these are called "thoughts")
At the moment, days often go past where the only intelligent one-on-one conversations I have here - other than with Mark, are with people who think I understand a lot more French than I do. Which makes for very unusual conversations. Today I finally drummed up the courage to ask for a "Carte de Fidelite" at the supermarket I frequent. I figure if I'm spending all M's hard-earned money we might as well get some loyalty bonus, yeah? So the very friendly checkout lady - they're all pretty nice here actually, I think there's a scientific correlation between allowing check-out chicks to sit in a comfy chair and their positive attitude - someone should do a study.
Where was I? Oh yes, so she explained to me all the benefits I would receive, gave me a whole lot of vouchers, pointed out a whole lot of information, gave instructions.
All in rapid fire French.
Me: "uh, d'accord.....oui.....d'accord.....merci" - No f-ing idea what she said. Great. "Smile".
And that's my outside contact for the day, unless I decide we need more bread and head to my favourite boulangerie, where the lady always asks how I am, and I always say I'm good. She's pretty much my bestest friend, I'm considering making us friendship bracelets. *le sigh*
Second thought - I miss working. I try not to, as when I AM working, all I do is wish for more time to read, relax, rediscover the brilliance that is Buffy Series 2 and 3, hang out in trackies all day, etc. And while it is all well and good, and I am enjoying my free time, I miss school. I miss the students, the frantic pace, the intelligent conversations with my colleagues, the less intelligent conversations with my colleagues, the sense of purpose and the joy I get from teaching. I almost, maybe, sorta, miss marking!! Arghhhh!
*le sigh number 2*
Third thought. Ham (jambon) tastes different here, and I still can't put my finger on why. I've tried many, many forms of pre-packaged, fresh sliced from the deli counter, fresh sliced at 2 different markets, fresh from butcher. Still tastes weird. Not bad, just weird. And so does mince. It's sweeter, and inexplicably comes marketed as either 5% MG or 15% MG, we still have no idea what MG stands for.
But the bread here IS. THE. SHIT. It's sooo good. And on that note, I'm going to have some more baguette avec buerre et confiture.
Au Revoir
Thanks for stopping by!
B
I think it's monosodium glutamate which is a presevative we all should use less of.
ReplyDeletePG