Monday, 18 January 2010

Hometown Glory

We have just finished watching “By Any Means” where Charley Boorman and producer Russ Malkin travelled from Ireland to Sydney using over 100 forms of transport.

It’s the third in the “Long Way Round” and “Long Way Down” series-of-sorts that we have watched and despite this series' lack of delectable, charismatic and gorgeous Ewan McGregor, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Highly recommended, and we BOTH really like this show, which is rare.

However, the final episode has them travelling from Darwin, through Alice Springs, across the top of SA, through the Snowy Mountains and into NSW and finally Sydney. And it has made me feel really homesick!

I’ve had plenty of low/sad moments where I’ve missed family and friends but not really many moments where I’ve felt a weird discomfort in my chest, a tingle up my spine and longed for Australia as a whole.

Perhaps it’s the accents, which sound so much stronger on TV, the red earth, blue skies, flat plains and ubiquitous eucalypts or how odd it now looks to see people drive on the left (we are going to be in serious trouble when we finally do get home!) or maybe it’s the quintessential Aussie “no worries, she’ll be right” attitude.
Dunno.

But tonight, I feel well and truly homesick.






No comments:

Post a Comment