Thursday, 24 June 2010

Developments


Three interesting things happened last night:


1. The Socceroos’s won their match but were knocked out of the World Cup. Or should I say The Sporting Even That Cannot Be Named which is what Sara Louise is calling it. Hehe.

2. The longest tennis match in history between French Nicolas Mahut and American John Isner had play suspended for the second day in a row after they ran out of light

3. Australia ended up with its first female Prime-Minister due to a leadership challenge.


Football first: We went over to Nice to watch the game with some friends but we were left hanging as all the pubs seemed hell bent on showing the Germany v Ghana game (in fact the pub we went to had 7 screens in total – with only one, the smallest, inside, showing the Aus v Serbia game, apparently there were a lot of Germans and only 2 Aussies and some ring in French/Scottish/Slovenian friends which wasn’t enough to get them to change one of the screens over!) We had a lot of fun anyway.

And there was ice cream to be enjoyed after the match for the designated driver and resident non-beer drinker.


On our way to the Vieille Ville in Nice to watch the game. Pretty


Happily sitting outside soaking up the atmosphere until we realise all screens are showing the other game - ah well! - we took our party inside.
Thirsty boys?



More amazing was when they cut to the tennis at half-time - everyone was transfixed watching these two guys, who looked dead on their feet, slugging it out and firing off aces as the 5th set score crept up from 53-53 to 59-59. Over 10 hours of match time is INSANE.

So courageous but in my mind I’m thinking that surely one of them will just go “aw stuff this” and throw in the towel. According to M I don’t have a competitive drive and will to keep fighting against the odds. Umm, is this news? I have a wicked competitive drive, but only so long as I’m winning. When the odds are against me I tend to flip over Trivial Pursuit boards in frustration. Once. I did this ONCE.


The fall-out from Julia Gillard becoming our PM is interesting, I find it odd that people are ranting about the fact that she wasn’t elected and yet that is how our democracy works, we pick our local representative and they pick the leader. I know it feels like we pick the PM, but we don’t, we pick the party. Anyway, I’m not going to shove my opinions down your throats, except to say that anyone, ANYONE is better than Tony Abbot. *shudder*.



And I’m all for a Ranga becoming PM.

Taking over the world, one ginger at a time.

xx

1 comment:

  1. Agreed - with everything you just said. Now I don't have to go to the effort of saying it myself. Perfecto.

    ReplyDelete