Books make me happy.
The dream house of my fictional future where we are über wealthy will have huge open fireplaces, a beautiful Hamptons Beachhouse style kitchen and living area like this:


A swimming pool, large open green spaces and gardens that will be tended by someone else as green things die around me, or commit plant suicide, I don’t know, and above all else a room that has floor to ceiling bookcases filled with books. Hundreds of books. Bliss.

So today I went on a little excursion to Valbonne which is a small town about 25mins North East of here. Why? Because I found a book voucher for the English Bookstore in Valbonne that I was given for my birthday and that I hadn’t used. I can’t believe it, how could I forget about a book voucher?!?! Blasphemy of the darkest kind, I know, but it was kind of like getting it as a present all over again when I found it in my drawer –I gave a little squeal of excitement even – so thanks (again) Kym and Rach!
I’m funny about giving people gift vouchers, as I always feel like I should think harder and find them an actual gift, which is weird because I LOVE getting gift vouchers, repeat LOVE them. Am I alone in this? I don’t think so – I’ve seen people kind of half apologise “er, it’s only a Myer/David Jones/Harvey Norman/A&R voucher, sorry” which is silly, because who doesn’t love spending said vouchers??
Anywhoodle, the book shop and indeed the town of Valbonne was way mucho cute and although they didn’t have as large a range of new books as my friend Crystal does at the Cannes English bookshop (does it surprise anyone that I’ve befriended the lady who runs the bookshop? No? Thought not.) This shop did have quite a large second hand section and this is where I struck GOLD people. This is my haul.
Yep, six, that’s right six books for one expired €20 book voucher, which the nice lady accepted anyway. I am so chuffed!
I’ve wanted to read Life of Pi, The Shadow of the Wind and Captain Corelli’s for yonks – I have actually read about a third of Captain Corelli before but it was someone else’s book and they selfishly wanted to read it themselves. Boo. The other three just sound interesting, especially Passion which is about the poets Byron, Shelley and Keats through the eyes of the women who knew and loved them. Juicy historical fiction, sooo my cup of tea.
I love second hand books – well, that is, I love the principle of them, as it means getting SIX books in perfectly good condition for €20!!!! (still excited) however I am too attached to my own books to ever part with them. Having said that, I did donate two boxes of books, CDs and DVDs to the Burnside Library when we left – and I am happy to lend my books out, so long as they come back. He he. Clearly I am a one sided second hand book lover. But hey! There are floor to ceiling bookshelves in my future and they aren’t going to fill themselves!
Happy reading all! xx
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot
Funny thing about vouchers - damn, where was I watching this? Diatribe about vouchers being similar to money, only not as widely accepted as money, and therefore less useful and slightly inferior.
ReplyDeleteDilbert, that's it.
If you ever see the episode where he goes to the mall (shock, horror). Hilarious.
ive read those top three. :)
ReplyDeleteps. eye spy... twilight!!!! Be still my 13-year-old inner self!