Sunday, 6 March 2011

Whoever holds the conch gets to speak

10 points to whoever knows where the title is from.
*Hint* "Sucks to your ass-mar"




How excitement! Sarah B over at Texpatriate Musings tagged me and now I need to answer a few questions and then pass the ball along. Thanks Sarah for the tag! And now everyone: gird your loins for some random answers!


1. If you have pets, do you see them as merely animals or are they members of your family?
No pets.
Unless a 6”5 man-child who sheds his hair, smells, slobbers and occasionally soils himself counts.
Ok, I’m lying.
He’s 6”4.

2. If you can have a dream come true, what would it be?
For Harry Potter to be real. “You’re a Wizard Harry!”

3. What is the one thing most hated by you?
People who are intolerant of other people's cultures. And the Dutch
For serious: Racism. Don’t understand it and won’t have a bar of it.

4. What would you do with a billion dollars?
I’d buy an island and declare my own country. Have my own dictatorship and become a demagogue
– Oh, and give some to charity.

5. What helps to pull you out of a bad mood?
Chocolate. Champagne. Cheese. Crushies. **
** Crushies is a game M and I play that essentially involves yelling out “crushies” and then launching yourself on to the other person and ... er ... crushing them. Often a run up is involved. This is particularly effective when the other person states, grumpily, that they don’t WANT to be crushed and that they’re BUSY. And then you crush them until the bad mood has gone. **

6. Which is more blessed, loving someone or being loved by someone?
Loving someone.

7. What is your bedtime routine?
Look at the clock and go ... ooohh, it’s late, but if I go to bed now, I’ll still have 6 hours sleep.
Spend 30 minutes reading Just Jared or Lainey Gossip or randomly surfing blogs/tumblrs.
Realise that I really need to go to bed.
Check Facebook. And email.
Decide that if I have shower at night that will save me crucial time in the morning.
Debate the merits of washing my hair and decide against.
Debate the merits of shaving my legs and decide against.
Have a shower – while thinking about the work I needed to do for tomorrow that I haven’t done.
Brush teeth, moisturise face and body.
Get in to bed and realise I have to get up in less than 5 hours.
Shiiiiiiit.

8. If you are currently in a relationship, how did you meet your partner?
At school. Yep, high-school sweethearts, except more convoluted and tawdry.

9. If you could watch a creative person in the act of the creative process, who would it be?
You mean other than Pricasso? Michelago painting the Sistine Chapel.

10. What kinds of books do you read?
Everything and anything - I’ll give most genres a go. I like books that make me cry, that make me laugh, that make me think, that take me away to a different world and, most of all that I can’t put down.

11. How would you see yourself in ten years time?
See answer to Q.4

12. What's your fear?
On a practical level? Snakes. Hate em. Give me the willies.
More profoundly? Death of loved ones is a fear that keeps me awake at night.

13. Would you give up all junk food for the rest of your life for the opportunity to visit outer space?
Hell to the no.
Junk food IN Outer Space though? Awesome.





14. Would you rather be single and rich or married, but poor?
This isn’t fair. Of course you’re meant to say married and poor. Where’s the middle ground? What about Slutty and on Government benefits??

15. What's the first thing you do when you wake up?
Mentally berate myself for not going to bed earlier and vow that tonight I’ll be in bed early. Then realise I have 15 minutes to be out the door because I’ve snoozed through my alarm for half an hour.

16. If you could change one thing about your spouse/partner what would it be?
That he thinks he’s always right.

17. If you could pick a new name for yourself, what would it be?
Princess Consuela Bananahammock.

18. Would you forgive and forget no matter how horrible a thing that special someone has done?
Yes. At least I think so - I’ve never been one to hold a grudge but it kind of depends on how horrible the thing is doesn’t it? I mean, there's a big difference between taping over my Spice World video and going on a homicidal rampage isn't there?

19. If you could only eat one thing for the next 6 months, what would it be?
Potatoes. No question - mashed, fried, roasted, boiled – all are welcome in my belly.


whee. That was fun.

Ok - I'm tagging:
The Everday Life of a Young American in France
Tanya in Transition
and
Piglet in France

Pass it on!

xx


ETA - Just wanted to say it's currently 1.24am chez nous and I'm just about to go to bed.
So my answer to Q. 7 is pretty much spot on.
I have washed my hair though, so that's good, but I need to be up at 6.30am. So that's bad.

9 comments:

  1. Lord of the Flies!!

    Great answers Bec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. I wish Harry Potter was real too...sometimes I stare out the window and hope my owl comes....love the answers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally knew the answer was Lord of the Flies, and the reason I knew that wasn't because I'm brainiac who read the book, but because I used to watch the movie repeatedly because I had a mad crush on Balthazar Getty (year before he became a douche and ran off with Sienna Miller... hate her).
    And Princess Consuela Bananahammock.... I'll just call you Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. come on B....where's your blogapalooza post? i am going to compile a list when you're done. no pressure :) a

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your #19. We are on the same wavelength. I was once given a whole bag of potatoes for my birthday.

    Let's hope there is not another famine when we have to live out these hypothetical scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tag!!

    I totally agree with #2. I want Harry Potter to be real sooo badly. And to get to be a witch, obviously.

    Also: Lord of the Flies! We read that book in 10th grade, and then had to create our own land with our own rules. It was a group project, but I managed to make a planet called Lauraland and get to be the queen and have everyone else do my bidding etc. The best group project EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody who correctly guessed 'Lord of the Flies' gets 10 fictional points of awesomeness.

    Having taught LOTF for many years ( much to the absolute delight of my students I'm sure) many of the quotes have stuck in my mind.

    To the extent that, the other day in a particularly boring, tedious meeting I wanted to stand up and yell "I've got the Conch!" and then go all Jack Merridew on their asses. But didn't. Just mollified myself by quietly whispering "sucks to your ass-mar" whenever one, particularly annoying person spoke.

    Whatever floats your boat, right??

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. some of these questions are really hard to answer!

    ReplyDelete