1. I've just spent the last 35 minutes teaching myself the Thriller dance (thank god for YouTube) so I can teach it to a class of 7 year olds tomorrow.
M thinks I've got no hope in hell getting them to do it. He thinks it will be too hard.
Bah!
I say - he hasn't seen me dance it yet - it's inspirational stuff. I got moves.
MJ would be proud.
2. On Tuesday, I managed to make a french colleague spit her mouthful of coffee across the table we were sitting at when I made a rather large franglais blunder. We were discussing allergies for some reason, and in a brain-fart moment of epic proportions I said (in French): I'm allergic to preservatives in wine.
Except I used the word "préservatif" in french.
Which means condoms.
So I'd just told her that when I drink wine I have allergic reactions to condoms. Thus proving the correlation between alcohol and sexy times I guess.....
This type of goof is what we long suffering French students know is called a "faux ami" or a false friend, a word that sounds like something in English, but means something quite different.
Either way - it was a huge faux pas and I was certainly the butt of a few jokes.
The world should just take to calling condoms "frangers" like we do in Aus-stra-ya, and all such problems could be avoided.
3. We are heading to Paris for the weekend with Hels and Tom which should be mucho grando fun times.
We're hoping for nice weather so we can stroll outside and eat/drink & be merry, but there's no shortage of things to do inside should we get rain.
I can teach everyone the Thriller dance for one thing ...
Bon weekend
xx
B
hahaha I vote for you teachign everyone in Paris the Thriller dance!
ReplyDeleteI made that same mistake in front of my boyfriend's mom! (except I was talking about preservatives in the weird peanut butter they have here).
Will you do the Thriller for us at the next get together?
ReplyDeleteI also had an interesting conversation in French about making jam from fresh figs. About how I liked it not having any preservatives in it. Laughs all 'round.
Oooh, enjoy Paris and say hello to Hels for me!
ReplyDeleteMez
First of all. OMG. Thriller dance...PLEASE record that. I love it!
ReplyDeleteSecond of all, you must have missed my post on preservatives (which, as it happens also mentions you in the same post...) Foreshadowing? I think so...
http://www.texpatsabroad.com/2/post/2010/12/this-jam-does-not-contain-condoms.html
i hope it was a great weekend and that everyone now knows thriller to perfection.
ReplyDeletemy mother-in-law was nearly as shocked when my daughter called an eraser a rubber one christmas. english by country can get interesting too.
a