Saturday, 5 March 2011

V.C Andrews - keeping it in the family

It’s pretty much a given that I spend far too much time on the computer.

It’s a hangover of my blissful enforced unemployment of 09/10 (ahh, the good’ol days)

I also now have a job - and this job requires a lot of time spent Googling.

Hey now - Don’t be all judge-y faced with me.

I’m not negating my (WINNING TM Charlie Sheen) position in my argument with M about Technology Vs Teachers but dudes, in the next few weeks I will start teaching:
The origins and spread of Judaism to my 6ieme
and Da Gama and Columbus’s ‘Voyages of Discovery’ to 5ieme

– do YOU know an awful lot about those two topics hmmm???

Thought not.
Thankfully - that’s what Wikipedia is for.


Now, not ALL the time I spend on the computer is for work.

I'll admit that there’s a little bit of time spent indulging in more cultural pursuits. But I’d still call it productive. Especially when I stumble upon GEMS like this blog:

Forever Young Adult

Which sounds like porn.

It’s not.
Well, not THAT kind of porn – more MY kind of porn.
As in BOOK PORN!

I’m digging myself a deeper hole here aren’t I??? (* waves* Hi Grandma!)


Bare with me – this is a website dedicated to adults who like to read fiction classified as ‘YA’ – Young Adult.

Scoff all you like – but if your only viewpoint on recent YA fiction is Twilight, then I feel sorry for you.

Go away and read Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games series, read any Meg Rosoff (How I Live Now in particular), read Sarah Dessen, heck, read Melina Marchetta’s Jellicoe Road. These are great books. And just because they’re YA doesn’t make them less worthy.


Late last night, aided by this blog, I made my own ‘Voyage of Discovery’ through my reading history of years gone by. And by the end of it I was laughing so hard my cheeks still ached today.

These girls are seriously funny

They have an Anne of Green Gables Drinking Game with things like: “Take One Drink Each time the word ‘bosom’ is used.” I always snickered at Anne calling Diana her “bosom friend”
Haha. Still do.
Bosom.

Also - Their Book Report Grading System includes a swoonworthy scale: 1 to 10 (get me to a nunnery --- i think I’m going have this book’s baby). They parlez my lingo.

But funniest (for me) of all – one of them did a chapter by chapter recap of V.C Andrews' infamous (and incestuous) Flowers of the Attic.

And it is HILARIOUS

HOW did V.C Andrews get away with publishing that shit?????
And I say this as someone who has not only read Flowers in the Attic – I can speak with authority as I read the whole damned SERIES! Oh yeah - I once owned'em all baby: Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, Seeds of Yesterday and Garden of Shadows.

Oh but wait, there’s more – Back in the day I also devoured my way through The Casteel AND The Cutler series.Which weren't even written by the crazy-ass V.C Andrews but by a Ghost Writer!




WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!?!?

The Casteel series (which begins with Heaven) has a main character called Heaven Leigh. For real.
And I shit you not, for about 3 years, in the early 90's that’s what I was naming my first baby.
Presumably I believed that my first child was going to be a girl.....

Thank you Grilled Cheesus that never happened.

But it did remind me that I have read some seriously crap stuff in my life.
And paid good money for the pleasure! (well - in this case it was probably mum's money - sorry TD! But kind of your fault for letting me read this trash in the first place! )

Anyway - if you love YA books like I do - go check out this blog.

And for those of you brilliant, fortunate souls who HAVE read The Hunger Games.
Yes OF COURSE I took the 'Find your Hunger Games name Quiz".

My Hunger Games name is Ryless T. Tiltaloe.

And THAT's my new baby name.


joking. joking. sheesh.
xxx





2 comments:

  1. Flowers in the attic is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you! I have read a bit of YA too - and must sadly admit to adoring the Flowers in the Attic Series, and do you remember My Sweet Audrina? Read that one at least twice. Terrible.
    Have read Hunger Games, but not the last two in the series (sorry...). Only made it through the first Twilight book. I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan and it is fantastic (I love me some zombies) - the second book is just out and winging it's way to me via UKBookDepository. Also enjoyed Shiver, although haven't read the last two either.
    Happy reading, let us know any gems you find!

    ReplyDelete