M maintains that within my teaching career (which he estimates will go for another 35 years or so - THAT'S a scary-ass thought!) computers will completely take over the classroom and will be able to teach better than a teacher - meaning that teachers will become no more than facilitators.
I argued that if that were the case, I would no longer be teaching as, to me, education is a lot more than turning the computer on and loading up a program.
The argument descended into hilarity when I was trying to prove that technology has a place but, for now, it doesn't compensate for a real-life teacher in the classroom.
M's response?
Look, I love you
but technology is better.
The immortal words of my husband. The giant Geek. Which had me howling with laughter.
This exchange has given me licence, however, to sing this song, from the end of Napolean Dynamite at him the past 2 days:
(If you haven't seen the film, this will make no sense, if you have, you'll know the bit I mean.)
Sure the world wide web is great
But you you make me salvivate
Yes I love technology
But not as much as you you see
But I still love technology
Oh M. Why so amusing?
xxx
When I got to college they were all "yeah everybody takes notes on their laptops now blahblahblah." This is so not true! I actually had to stop bringing mine with me to class, because if I did I would just play games instead of paying attention.
ReplyDeleteTeachers > Technology.
ALTHOUGH I do like the idea of living Zenon Girl of the 21st Century style...
Can a computer give you positive feedback and emotional support? Can a comnputer ensure that you are engrossed in a class and paying attention? Can a comnputer answer unanticipated but valid questions?
ReplyDeleteHuman beings are the biproduct of their education, and education is the biproduct of human beings.
Kip is a dreamboat.
M xoxox
I forgot how much I loved Napoleon Dynamite until I visited your blog today. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteAlso, technology will never be an adequate replacement for real live teachers. Teachers are so much more than just classroom instructors!