Sunday, 5 July 2009

Le Tour de France


After days and days of humid mugginess the skies have finally cleared and I am sitting on my balcony enjoying the clear blue vision before me interrupted only by the noisy scooters and helicopters landing at the nearby base.

The boys have traipsed off to Grasse for Stage 2 of le Tour – despite a delay in their planning due to typical French train strikes, which had German Ralf fuming with indignation - this would never happen in Germany! Bloody Frogs! I have opted to stay home today, to cook, to read, to clean and to write – and most likely to view, I have just downloaded Vicky Christina Barcelona on a recommendation from Hols, so that may well be this afternoon’s main activity. Also, sitting outside in the heat for 8 hours yesterday was enough for me, thank you very much.


Watching and being a part of the ‘Grand Depart’ of le Tour de France 2009 was a fantastic experience though. They were expecting around 150,000 people in Monaco yesterday and it was certainly a colourful, entertaining day. We caught the train over early – having really no idea of when the crowds would arrive and wanting to get the best position possible. Ralf and M were especially keen to ensure prime position. Taylor – our lovely American friend – and I were less obsessed, but went along with their enthusiasm.


Things went well all day – we arrived in Monaco and headed down to the port where the start and finish of the 15.5km time trial was. The Grand Prix grandstand was still there and M had read that it was general – and free! – access. We were there, fortunately, about 5 min before they opened the gates and, after asking a few of the officials, where they thought the best spot was, climbed up to claim our possie, with a sweeping view of the harbour, the final stretch, the hill and a massive screen. Perfection.



Early birds get the best seats! M, me, Taylor and Ralf

I decided to hang my Aussie flag from the side of the grand stand and this acted as a magnet for various other Aussies in the crowd, soon we were surrounded by a sea of green and gold, flag-cape sporting Aussies! Brilliant! An Englishman in front of asked if the government gives Aussies a flag with their passport to wear at international sporting events – and he was right – lots of Aussies, all wearing the flag as cape!
Flying the Aussie colours with pride - Go Cadel!

Our flag/version of the Aussie hill at sporting events also gained the attention of a Channel 7 Yahoo reporter, who filmed us for a series of “Life on Tour” videos he is doing throughout the event. We look and sound like utter idiots, but here’s the link anyway: http://au.promotions.yahoo.com/sports/tour-de-france/life-on-tour/video
– scroll down and if you don’t recognise us in the picture, we’re in the “Le tour begins” video – basically talking about the free stuff we got given. I think I say the words “I totally scored”. What a loser.

The race itself was both fascinating and (sorry!) boring. Fascinating because I learnt so much more about bike racing and the atmosphere was electric and the caravan that goes before the race with all the sponsors handing out hats/bags/t-shirts/lollies/giant hands/crackers etc was hilarious and very entertaining. Boring because – apart from Lance and some of the Aussies, for me, bike racing is a lot like car racing. I find car racing mind numbingly dull. However I guess the appeal for these sorts of events is the atmosphere and yesterday’s was certainly going off like a frog in a sock. I also got to meet some great people and hang out in the humid heat of Monaco for a day. Pretty lucky really.
Oh, and from my now extensive knowledge of racing – Contador to win.
M, Taylor and Marie

No guesses as to who the biggest cheer of the day was for (and no, it wasn't for M!)

Happy camper


A great day! Off to cook some Stroganoff for dinner. x

1 comment:

  1. Who is that dickhead with the over-the-top adulation for Lance?

    ReplyDelete