Friday, 10 July 2009

A few quick things


I am leaving tomorrow on a 3-day hike in the Mercantour National Park which is on the France/Italian border in the Alps.

Yep. Another hike. I do not even know myself anymore, honestly. AND, I did something today that I NEVER thought I'd do - I bought a pair of hiking pants that have zip-off lower legs that turn into shorts. Convertible outdoor hiking pants. As Derek Zoolander so profoundly once asked - "Who am I?"

I've changed. Not too much though, I also bought myself a totally cute hot pink fleece, as even though it's hot hot hot down here seaside, up in the Alps, there be snow. M doesn't exactly know about the fleece yet, but he can deal.

Besides, due to some recent bargaining over a car price, I saved us some euros. Yes, that's right, you heard/read right - CAR!! We have wheels people - or we will next week! No more public transport for this little brown duck, no sir-ee, you can take your train strikes and stick-em France!

Would you like to meet my new baby? She is as yet unnamed, and will never replace Xena in my affections (hard to beat a brand new car won in a raffle!!) but I think I will grow to love her.



She's a Renault Scenic - 1998, 1.9l Diesel, owned by a lovely English couple who spend 6 months a year in Antibes, really well looked after and best of all was the price - which I bartered over!
Those who know me well know that despite my bravado and full-of-shit-ness, I am actually an utter weakling and coward when it comes to bartering/complaining/confrontation. So, much to Ralf's amusement as he watched us too and fro over this, M insisted that "according to the principles of second hand car buying" - I had to offer less than the asking price. Personally, I think it's silly, but I did what he instructed (and I managed to muffle the high-pitched nervous giggle that threatened to escape when I made the offer) and it was accepted! yay! We will be picking our new family member up next week, probably on Tuesday which is Bastille Day here - vive la France!


We are also full-steam ahead planning for our August Croatia sailing/Paris for Kate's birthday trip and yesterday managed to secure THIRTY EURO FIRST CLASS TGV tickets to and from Paris - this price is utterly unheard of and I was literally doing a little happy dance - which was gleefully witnessed by Kate as we were skyping at the time.

2 quick last things:
I'm so so happy for my two little sisters who yesterday became the proud owners of a GREAT little unit in Klemzig. Yay for Hols and Claire.

I didn't get the job at the International School of Nice - their circumstances changed and they no longer need me. Pretty bummed about it, but whatever.

Wish me luck on the hike! I will, of course, provide ample hilarity at my expense when I return including photos of me looking uber sexy in my new hiking pants/shorts (phorts? shants?).

You love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment