My answer usually goes something like this:
“It’s GREAT, we’re so happy with how it has all worked out and we LOVE this area, there are THREE awesome cafes within a 5 minute walk, a bakery, an amazing Deli and Gourmet produce store, we’ve been to the Thai restaurant on the main road and it was excellent and apparently Laksa King and the Malaysian restaurant are good too, and there’s this East African restaurant that’s meant to be excellent – oh and there’s a Farmer’s Market 5 minutes away every Sunday morning and it’s a quick stroll to the supermarket and ......................”
It’s usually at about this point that I realise the person asking the question was probably NOT looking for a run-down of all the eating spots within a 5km radius.
And then I mumble something about
"being close to transport and tree-lined streets and how quiet it is ..... "
all the while wishing I was really telling them about the sensational Irish Pub that’s 10 minutes away that serves these incredible Irish Stews in home-made loaves of bread.I guess not everyone is as food obsessed as moi.
Although, having said that – Melbournites by-and-large seem to be a pretty foodie bunch.
This is nowhere more obviously reflected than in the tradition of Sunday Brunch.
Not confined to inner-city urbanites, the quest for creamy organic coffee, perfectly poached eggs and a comfy chair to repose in while reading the paper is a serious business. And one that seems to affect people from all walks of life and every neighbourhood. EVERYBODY goes out for bunch on the weekend it seems. There is a genuine buzz around the streets as people walk their prams and dogs to trendy little cafes and the best places will have lines out the door of people waiting for a take-away double-shot latte or a table to become free.
There are dozens of blogs devoted to finding the “best” spot in Melbourne to have brunch but I have to tell you – from my un-scientific research thus far, there is no shortage of great places. I’m willing to do the leg-work (belly-work?) to qualify this though! And read blogs to help feed the obsession!
All photos from Brunchalot Brunch Blog - which is well worth a read; great reviews and beautiful photos.
As mentioned in my neighbourhood run down, we are blessed with three rather excellent eateries near-by. And we have “brunched” every weekend thus far. Actually – we have brunched both Saturday AND Sunday the last two weeks – how devilishly decadent is that?!?!
I’ve already explained my deep affection for bacon at the moment, so it’s probably not surprising that I’m so taken with brunch, but I think it will be a long-lasting affection, as the ritual of a slow meander down the street for a cup of coffee and some quality, freshly produced food is hard to beat. I’m also counting down the days til I can eat poached eggs and hollandaise sauce again. Due date is 9 days away and my first meal after baby and when I’m up to the walk down the street will Eggs Benedict. Oh yes.
So, as little Orphan Annie said – I think I’m gonna like it here!
B
xxx



You know what gets on my ish??? That the French are all about food, blah blah blah, but they have completely overlooked the goodness that is brunch and even breakfast for that matter. Brunch is without a doubt my favorite meal. It's a cruel world I live in, a cruel world.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm super happy that your back in the land of brunch and not a little bit jealous, nope, not even a little bit. x
God, I love brunch too. And like Sara I think it's a crime that it's not done here. What a waste of a meal opportunity. Continental breaky my arse. I love that last photo - the eggs look perfect.
ReplyDeleteGood luck for the countdown, will be thinking of you over the next 9 (or maybe more??) days! Hope Raj is on time!
Holy crappers! Less than a week away till DD - are you serious?! I have been away from blogland a baby watch 2012 far far too long! Thinking of you wonderful Ramsays and Baby Ranga to be.
ReplyDeleteMuch love as always, Mez xoxoxo
Thinking of you these days! Some blog love over at my blog for yours if you're not too busy with diapers to check it out : http://femmeaufoyer2011.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-award.html Bisous, Liene
ReplyDelete