Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Pigging Out

Hi all.

No baby news.

Still cooking that bun and getting heavier and more cumbersome every day. I now have a whole repertoire of noises that seem to accompany everyday tasks and activities - like grunting when standing up, sighing when sitting down and an odd kind of groan/squawk that bursts out if I squat for too long and then need to stand up. Getting in and out of the car is also a 3-step process and I'm wondering if a little old lady somewhere has a Zimmer frame I can borrow to make getting around easier.

But other than that - and the fact that baby likes to use my insides to practice her high kicks - all is going smoothly still and we just have to sit back and wait for the big day.

Oh - except that "sit back and wait" isn't really what's been going down.

Our shipping container arrived! Whoo hoo! So we have furniture which is GREAT but also a whole lot of stuff to find homes for and between M and I two VERY different approaches to putting things away.

I like to get everything out, figure out where it's going to go and put it there or leave it in a box until we've decided/found the right spot.

M - who hates clutter, just wants to put everything away NOW even if that means his hiking backpacks are where I think our clothes should be and there are bags of electrical cords/computer equipment etc in the baby's room ...... Luckily he has to work during the day so I can plod about putting things where I want them. As it should be.

But we'll get there.

In other news:
I think I've discovered my "craving" food. 
I'm not actually sure if it counts as a craving because (a) it isn't weird and (b) I don't want it at weird times of the day and (c) I liked this food item a lot before getting preggers.
But I'm obsessed with bacon at the moment. 

I cannot get enough of it. I'm not QUITE eating it every day ..... just every other day.
I don't want it with eggs though. Not being able to eat my favourite forms of eggy goodness: poached or in an egg cup with soldiers - until after baby is born, means that eggs are off my menu for now.

So how am I consuming all this glorious bacon I hear you ask?
Mainly in two forms:
With French Toast and Maple Syrup at the great cafe down the road from us for brunch. (Washed down with a hot chocolate just in case there wasn't enough sugar or calories already!)
OR - most often, as part of a B.L.A.T. 
A what?
B.L.A.T. It's a B.L.T (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato - or as I like to call it, the Holy Trinity) with Avocado added served on thick wholegrain bread. I make this for myself and it's DELICIOUS.

I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
But I don't because I know my growing baby probably needs a few other essential vitamins and minerals.
But I wanna.

SO does that count as a craving or am I just a bacon obsessed loony??


And finally - in the spirit of Valentine's Day yesterday:
M and I didn't do anything special - he cooked meat on the BBQ, I made a salad and we sat and talked to each other, which was perfect. He also brought home special ice creams AND a Cadbury Creme Egg for me because he is lovely.


I give you this e-card which my sister sent to me:





Hope you all had a great day!! hehehehe.

B
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Saw this on facebook the other day and a friend aptly replied that Willy Wonka probably has one of those.
    Glad to hear everything turned up, good luck with the unpacking, definitely worse than packing IMO.
    Happy Valentine's Day to the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B,
    What could be better? I wish I'd thought of that.

    I am happy you're doing so well, M is happy at work and your stuff arrived. I can't wait for Ms Priss to arrive and to see her sweet baby face.

    And you should know that avocados are the perfect food. When the kids were babies it was one of the first real foods I fed them and I read that you could survive on avocados alone and be just fine. Your sandwich has me considering another trip to Hyper-U.

    bisous. big ones.
    aidan

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR STUFF ARRIVED!!!
    That makes me happy.
    And as far as BLATs go... yes please.
    By the way, I think you might be bacon obsessed, but if you want to blame it on Raj, that's cool.
    Miss you so very much. We must chat again before you get busy with that whole baby thing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Can't. Remember. What. A. Good. Avocado. Tastes. Like.

    In Scotland, you buy them so unripe they're better used as mallets, then you wait patiently for them to ripen, checking them everyday to assess tenderness and squishability. You judge the perfect day will be next Wednesday. All Wednesday you are intensley excited... then you work late. Not late late, but maybe 2 hours later than usual. You get home to find you've missed your avocado window and what remains is a bruised, brown, slightly stringy mess of a fruit.

    Jealousy is an understatement. I'll swap you an uncomfortable pre-labour week for one decent avocado.

    Love Mez xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacon is amazing, and I especially love it on an Elvis sandwich. Have you had one? It's peanut butter, banana, honey, and bacon on grilled toast. I promise you'll fall in the love with bacon all over again. Also, the e-card at the end of your post is ridiculous/awesome.

    ReplyDelete