Tuesday, 26 July 2011
Sarah's Key
We watched this film on Saturday night.
I'd wanted to see it for awhile, but missed my opportunity when it was out in cinemas.
An adaptation of the novel by Tatiana de Rosnay - which I actually haven't read, starring Kristen Scott Thomas, who I adore. The story follows Kristen ST's character, Julia - a journalist who has lived in France for 25 years and is married to a Frenchman and her present day investigation into the 1942 Vel' d'Hiv Roundup of Jews and the lasting impact of these events - which strike very close to home. This modern story is juxtaposed with the story of a young girl's experiences during the Nazi occupation of France.
We both really liked Sarah's Key - we didn't enjoy it per se, as it's certainly not a happy clappy film, but the acting was good and while the French is all subtitled, it was nice for both of us that we didn't always need to read the subtitles to follow the dialogue. While it's certainly very sad in parts, I didn't feel like it was overly emotionally manipulative, which was nice. Still shed a tear or two though, because I am an emotional lump.
Anyway - if you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend.
Here's the trailer:
xxx
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I read this last summer, I didn't know there was a movie made. If it's as sad as the book, I don't think I'll be able to watch it :-( I'm a wuss like that.
ReplyDeleteWow looks really interesting. I've been wanting to watch a good French film for a while now (as all the ones out now seem to be horrible comedies). I'll definitely check it out.
ReplyDeleteBloody hell woman, when are you going to enable your email address so I can reply to you when you drop by?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the baby well-wishes, you'll be happy to know his middle name is NOT Cadel (hubs is as cycling mad as yours I think).
If this movie is sad I'm not touching it with a 10 ft pole; I'm a mess of hormones at the moment and the last thing I need is another good cry!
I just finished reading the book, and 'enjoyed' it too. Liked reading a book set in Paris while living here and learning about some of the history of the city (although awful). Must admit I found the ending of the book a tiny bit clichéd. Will have to check out the movie nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteFor all you Aussies - it's available now on DVD and Blu Ray through Madman Entertainment! (wow, SHAMELESS plug for my work. That's what I call targeting!)
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked it Bec - I completely know what you mean about not being able to say you enjoyed it as such, but it is so powerful. I bawled like a small child.