Thursday, 16 June 2011

Disneyland

So it's about that time in the school year, when reports are done, grades are locked in, things are winding down and no power on this earth can convince students to do more work.

That leaves teachers with only one option: time to watch a Film.
I've tried quizzes. Pictionary marathons. Class parties. Fun games.

And the secret to keeping the monsters entertained?
Junk food + Disney films = Good times

I let them bring in whatever food they like (which seems to just be endless bags of Haribo sweets - which I keep calling "lollies" even though it earns me weird looks) and we sit and watch a film.

With my 6eme History/Geography class my GENIUS choice is Hercules.



It loosely relates to what we've studied 'cause we've been doing the Romans .... and Hercules is a re-telling of the Greek myth .... sorta ..... kinda ..... ah shut up, it's a great movie and I know all the words to the songs.

Anyway, to make the movie viewing more pleasurable, I like to play the movie on my laptop so I can connect it to a projector and speakers for a more cinematic experience.

This morning chez nous was a bit of a kerfuffle.

Below is a transcript of the texting between M and I:

M: Did you take an Aussie plug converter
Ed: Our laptop is Aussie. She don't like no Frenchie plugs in her, she's a classy broad. Sadly, I've neglected several times to take an adaptor with me and given that her battery life is about 36 minutes, this sucks ass!


B: Yep, sorted. Traffic is hideous though. I need a motorbike. Or a hovercraft.


35min later


B: i did, however, leave the extension cord at home so can't plug anything in or use any of the gear because these classrooms were built in the 19th century and only have one power outlet.


M: You muppet. Surely the school has an extension cord?


B: Probably, but apparently not in Cell block D. I've even wandered around randomly asking other teachers. I really hope "Avez-vous un grand cord d'extension???" and hand gestures trying to show something long and plug-like translates into French .....

B: Nevermind, we've found a classroom and are watching the film on a TV from 1985


M: They had TVs in 1985?


B: in colour and everything. It's about the size of a shoe-box.


M: You could always get a cardboard box, put a sock on each hand and deliver a fantastic Punch and Judy style sock puppetry masterpiece.


B: Excellent suggestion but I'm not wearing any socks. Hercules is such a great movie! "Memo to me... Memo to me: Maim you after my meeting."


It made me laugh anyway.
And the kids loved the movie - one of the girls even sang along with me which makes her my favourite.


In other news: Guess where we're going tomorrow????

Le Petit Village!!!! 

Yes that's right, we're going to hang with Sara and The Husband, have some cuddles with Fifty and hopefully meet all the other memorable characters that populate Sara's blog.

I can't wait.

I think this is how some people must feel before visiting Disneyland: it's a place you kind of know, you've seen pictures and read about it and tomorrow it will all be real!

It should be a fabulous (and raucous!) weekend - gird your loins Petit Villagers - the Aussies are on their way!

B
xx


PS: I'll be taking a cardboard box and some socks with me to Le Petit Village just in case everyone gets a bit bored and there's no TV .....

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, now I am expecting lollies and a puppy show.
    And Fifty loves socks so a big win all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!!! *throwing myself around the room in self-pity* Why do all of you awesome people have to live in the south of France anyway?!

    I swear I'm going to make a trip down there to meet everyone!

    ReplyDelete