Saturday, 7 May 2011

Why yes I do. My favourite's gouda.

 ** Chookie - Do you recognise the title? Name that film and character!


Ok. Prepare yourself for a whole lot of canals and flowers.

Yes that’s right – we’re in Holland baby!
(well .... we WERE in Holland a few weeks ago but you get the idea.)

Our first stop was Gouda.
Where we had a lovely lunch.
And ate some Gouda.

If I actually HAD a Bucket List (which I don’t) I would put on it: “Visit all the places that have cheeses named after them and eat cheese there.”
That’s a rock solid life aim I feel.
And – bonus, I can already check off Gouda and Gruyere.

Then we arrived in Delft.
And I fell in love.

Scenic canals and open squares. Cute cafes, bikes everywhere and young people giving a relaxed friendly vibe and Blue and White Delftware everywhere you looked.

I have a serious hard-on for blue-and-white Porcelain, from the original Chinese stuff, to Italian Spode, to Turkish tiles to Delftware, so I was in homewares heaven.

What a pity that M was thousands of miles away in Morocco with no way to influence my spending habits...........

Having said that, when we visited the Royal Delft factory – one of only three that date from the 16th century still operating in Delft, I found myself looking at the various items on sale and thinking to myself “hmm, €380 for a teapot ... that seems reasonable ...” and then experiencing a dawning realisation that M would most likely find spending €180 on a plate justifiable grounds for divorce. Lucky for me and the state of my marriage, the boutique had some items on sale, so I managed to find some pieces that I love without breaking the bank.

I can’t say enough nice things about Delft – it was probably the highlight of the trip for me.

If you’re planning a trip to Les Pays-Bas at any point, put Delft on your itinerary, it’s awesome.


Gouda





Delft














Next up - it's a veritable Tulip-palooza when we spend the day at the Keukenhof Gardens, then it's on to Amsterdam where mum and I dropped some magic mushrooms and got tattoos.


xx B

3 comments:

  1. Yummo. Can't wait to hear about the tatts in the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese! Stu's just had a week (ok, he made it like, 4 days) off cheese and other dairy products as we were testing a little lactose intolerance theory. Honestly, I think he could've kept it up for the entire week, but the misery on his face was just too much to bear. Particularly since we had brie, stilton, halloumi and a really great mature cheddar just sitting there in the fridge, mocking him.

    I don't know what he'd do if he actually found out he was lactose intolerant, but my guess is that he'd consume all cheese within a five-mile radius, sink into a dairy-induced coma and die a happy, bloated man.

    M xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I actually HAD a Bucket List (which I don’t) I would put on it: “Visit all the places that have cheeses named after them and eat cheese there.”
    That’s a rock solid life aim I feel.
    And – bonus, I can already check off Gouda and Gruyere."

    -- Uh. Oui. Moi Aussi.

    ReplyDelete