Saturday, 27 November 2010

Exceeds Expectations

I went and saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 with friends last night
(and dragged M along too.)

Loved it. Loved it so hard.

Had to explain the plot to M over my Aioli dinner as he's seen some of the movies but flat-out refuses to read the books because he is a culture-less ignoramus. It was the most Cliffs notes version of a plot outline, but he understood - and liked the film a lot too.

It was weird though. I felt quite emotional about seeing this film. HP has been a part of my life for a long time. I'm not a rabid fan, by any means, but I was oddly nervous. I also felt incredibly proud of the cast - it's like we've watched them grow up in a way. I love that they've kept them all together.

And they we're so GOOD in this film - they've all learnt to act and Emma Watson has stopped emoting through her eyebrows, and Rupert Grint was so believable and I thought DanRad was just excellent.

It was a very dark and suspenseful film. I can't imagine what would possess a parent to take a young child to see this - I just about shat myself in two places (both to do with Nagini because I HATE SNAKES) but there is really nothing about this film that is for children. It's not about a magical world of discovery and adventure any more.  Indeed, the magic isn't even introuduced in this one - they're expecting an audience who knows this world, who knows what Polyjuice potion is for example, and accepts the parameters accordingly.

Torture, isolation, desolation, grief, evil, acceptance, loss.

Hermione obliviating her parents? And then having to reapeat the spell at the cafe later?
The trio fighting and Ron leaving?
Harry looking at his toy soldiers in the cupboard under the stairs?
Hedwig? Dobby? Mad-Eye?

It was heavy going. 


But there were funny moments of course. And toucing ones too - the scene of Hermione and Harry dancing together in the tent - a failed attempt on Harry's behalf to cheer Hermione up - just gorgeous.

I can't wait for the next one.
If only all book-to-film translations were this effective.



No comments:

Post a Comment