Holly and I had an amazing time “Together in Paris” – with mucho quoting from various Disney films and giggling as we wandered around the city of luurve. Despite Holly’s delayed flight – which meant she got in a day later than planned, we still had plenty of time to see and do and EAT all that we wanted to.
Since we’ve both been there before we eschewed the traditional Eiffel Tower/Louvre/Versailles combo and tried to spend a chunk of time in various areas getting to see them in a bit more detail. To this end we cruised around the fabulous and fascinating Latin Quarter, stomped and shopped up a storm around Opera and the Galleries Lafayette and Printemps – including two trips to La Maison du Chocolate for sinfully delicious chocolate treats and Ladureé for the BEST macaroons in France.
We also swung by Tiffany’s and I picked up my birthday present from M and Barb and Pete, which is gorgeous, and so special. We did a really fun and informative walking tour of Montmartre and generally soaked up the sights, ate heaps and had an absolute ball. So great. Sadly I have no photos to share as we used Holly’s camera, and she didn’t bring the cord and Sony products are stupid and you can only use their adaptors so.... no photos to share. Hopefully soon.
After Paris, Holly popped over to London to see Beags and then came back to France. We had some fun days visiting the local region and then off to Berlin. To freeze.
We got in late Thursday night and had planned to do a full day walking tour on the Friday – the same one Claire and I did last year that I loved (with the tour guide that I had something of a giant crush on). When we got up in the morning it was snowing and oh, bloody freezing, and the guy at the desk said “you are the bravest people I’ve ever met” which I think was actually code for “you guys are f-ing mental!”
The tour was brilliant, (different tour guide this time though which, really, all for the best since M probably wouldn’t have taken the sight of me salivating over his...er...historical knowledge.... all that well...ha) I’d so highly recommend these tours to anyone visiting Berlin, but I’d suggest a slightly warmer day than -13. Because it was so cold it HURT. We were wearing about as many clothes as one can and still be able to move freely, but still, so freakin cold. I was so jealous of the kids we saw walking (or better yet, being carried) in full padded suits that virtually turn them into starfish, but look so cosy. If only they made them in XXXXXXL.... Holly and Mark both claimed they were suffering from the early stages of hypothermia. Which we successfully cured over some schnitzels and a few bottles of red that night. And a few snickers bars for Holly.
On the day of my birthday we visited the shopping district, some wicked Christmas markets and had a fabulous, delicious German dinner at a great restaurant nearby our hostel and then a few cocktails. I have been very spoilt for my big 3-0. The beautiful necklace from Tiffanys I mentioned above and the most stunning diamond studs and money towards Bali from my family. I am so bling-ed out it isn’t even funny. For someone who doesn’t wear that much jewellery normally, I am rocking some serious jewels.
The next day was a visit to some sights and museums, including the interesting but chaotic Checkpoint Charlie museum, the Reichstag (which was cool, but we lined up outside for an hour, nearly dying, only to realise that the viewing platform/dome is completely open to the weather – so we were freezing at altitude!! Bad decision.) And that evening a train trip out to Spandau to visit the most amazing – and very traditional – Christmas Markets – they were huge. Unfortunately it was honestly so cold that a lot of what we wanted to do was restricted by our ability to withstand the temperature – we did A LOT of ducking in and out of shops/bars/cafes to thaw out! But overall we had mucho fun. Holly and Mark bicker like siblings and talk nonsense and crack each other up and it’s just so much fun having her here. So happy!
With my crusty old bonds hoodie, but that's how I roll.
Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe.
A lengthy debate over Art versus Fitting memorial went on for a long time the following night between M and I - I think Holly wanted to shoot us, or herself, but we're both passionate/stubborn mules.
No comments:
Post a Comment