Sunday, 12 December 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

The actual day of my birth won't be celebrated for another week.
But we got started a little early chez nous as I collected my birthday/Christmas present from M today.

And I tell you what - the boy has done GOOD. *pats head*

I am the very happy recipient of this little bad boy:


yes my friends - that would be a Sony e-reader Touch.
Capable of storing up to 1200 books.
2 full weeks of reading without charging.

But this bears repeating - 1200 books at my fingertips!!!!

I'll admit, I was a bit unsure about the whole e-book idea for awhile.

Ya'll know how much I love books; the look, the physicality, even the smell (yeah, I'm weird, deal with it). And that hasn't changed. I will continue to be thrilled when stumbling across a new bookstore, especially in a foreign city. I will still happily spend hours wandering the shelves of all my favourite bookshops and literally judge a book by its cover, make the purchase and walk away excited about the new reading adventure ahead of me.

But I also have a "to read list" that is teetering around 55 books. And an Amazon wish list that is getting out of hand. And on holidays I've been known to take 4+ novels away with me. And storage of all my books is getting to be an issue.

So the e-reader makes a whole lot of sense.

We went the Sony e-reader over the Amazon Kindle simply because with Amazon you are tied into buying e-books from them ONLY, and their content in France and Australia is incredibly limited compared to their UK/US content.

With the Sony you can upload e-books that you've purchased from anywhere.
For example I bought Kathryn Stockett's 'The Help' last night from Kobo for €6 and downloaded a few freebies too.



The only tough decision now with some books - like Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom" - is do I want this in "hard" copy or electronic? Decisions, decisions....

And how do I convince M that I need to buy a whole lot of e-books right. now.?

Wish me luck!
And happy reading
xxx

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally obsessed with books too. I love how they look in a home!! When my husband and I backpacked around Europe we each had our backpack of clothes, toiletries etc, and then I brought a separate backpack with 10 books because I was worried I would run out of books to read?!?! On a 10 day trip!!!

    Oy.

    What a great gift though. Good job M!!!! Now your obsession travels a bit lighter :) And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome present! And it's great because your arms won't get tired holding it the way they do if you're reading a big ol' heavy book.

    Happy happy birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take to new technologies gradually, so initial reluctance marrs my ability to enjoy the concept of e books right now. Give me 5 years and I'll be totally on board. Of course by then, I'll be in love with an obsolete technology.

    Artwork on a cover! No substitute. I may go to hell for my adoration of paper.

    ReplyDelete