Monday, 4 May 2009

Hiking: The Verdict.

Ok, so I'm back.

We got in last night and in keeping with a promise to M, I haven’t recorded my thoughts about the trek until now.

Keep in mind that the promise to M was made because at one point when he asked me what I thought of the ordeal, I told him that it was the most hellish experience ever and that I’d rather be having an intrusive gynaecological exam in front of everyone I know (I was possibly clambering uphill at this point.) M remarked that you don’t ask a woman in labour if she likes having children. Nice analogy. Childbirth and hiking. So I have taken time to reflect.


Here’s the low down.

We headed off early on Friday morning to the start of our trek in Castellane, which is a small village nestled in the Verdon Gorges, alongside the Verdon river, about 2 hours out of Cannes. Our partners in crime were Luca (Italian – works at Thales) his wife Katia (Russian) their gorgeous puppy dog Charlee and Olivier (French – works at Thales) so it was quite the multicultural excursion.

The hike went for 3 days and two nights.

It was possibly the hardest thing I’ve done physically in...oh...ever.
I also realised about half way through the first day that the last time I went hiking with a large pack on my back was year 9 camp. I mentioned this to M and he said “but you didn’t go on camp with the year 9s last year” and I laughed and said, “no, dipshit, when I was in year 9, - like 1994”. So after an enjoyable 4 hour hike a few weeks ago, it wasn’t that I was jumping ahead and doing the whole ‘run before you can walk’ thing. It was more like ‘sign up for an extreme Iron Man when you are still in nappies’ kind of deal. Silly. And packs are HEAVY.


So the Good:
  • M was so so so so pleased that I came. And it was lovely to spend the time with him and get away from it all. (what I, as an unemployed lay-about have to get away from, I’m not sure, but you get the idea.)

  • The scenery was amazing, truly breathtaking and we got to see views that you just cannot experience unless you go by foot. See below for beautiful photographs that do not do the views and sights justice.

  • It was lovely to get to know Luca, Katia and Olivier better – and to hear all the different languages flying about.
  • The actual camping at night – preparing the fire, cooking dinner, special dessert treats, (which, with camp-food philosophy, were the greatest meals I’ve ever had) a nip or two of Cognac, putting on an extra 3 layers of clothing and hitting bed by 10.00. Great.

  • I am really proud of myself. Sounds lame, I know, but there were many times where, if I’d had the choice I would have given up, but as there was no choice, I had to keep going. And I did it. So therefore I rock. Go me.

  • The feeling as we could see Castellane in the distance, and I knew we were nearly finished. Euphoric.

The bad:
  • The first day was 90% uphill. So much f-ing uphill. I reached a pain barrier/wall/end of tether, what have you where I was literally trying not to cry and came about thisclose to losing my shit. It was hard going. I was cursing under my breath and singing any song I could think of to myself to keep the legs going. Bizarrely, the most effective was “Climb every mountain” from Sound of Music. Ironic, no?

  • The second day was a lot of steep descent, which you’d think sounds great after my above rant against incline. Unfortunately my toes had surrendered their territory to blisters. Big, angry muthafuckers of blisters. So every, single, tiny, step down hill was painful. Again, after lunch on the second day, when I’d felt two blisters burst into my socks (ew) I had had enough.

So – the verdict.


I liked it.

Despite the pain – which I’m still feeling. And the blisters – which I’ve just spent 15min “lancing” (read: bursting) with a pin. Gross. It was worth it.

Would I do it again? – Maybe

Do I actually like hiking now? – Nope. Still think it’s stupid. BUT, I’m warming up to it.........



Still smiling at this point. Check out the church at the top of that hill!




Luca, Olivier, Katia (with Charlee) and M. Ready to rock!




Passing through beautiful French countryside





We got up high pretty quickly!





Still smiling though!


And we’re up! It’s hard to see, but in the middle of that hill in the distance is a building.



This is the building – an old church!



Inside the church.

Jesus carrying a lamb up the hill to the church. Mmm, lamb. And Jesus looks kinda girly here.


A) High up. B) Steep. Logical place for a church? Su-re.



Walking into a little village to fill up our water.




Cute French village


The happiest hiker in the world. (Happy to be sitting anyway...)


Looking back at where we'd come from.

Setting up camp and gathering firewood.


Our tent – actually quite comfortable.





Heading off the next morning


Down the hill – to Rougon – a little village




You get a sense of how high we were up – the river and the valley floor are just visable




Drinking and cleaning at the old springs - so refreshing.




Rougon = picturesque.



Yup. It’s a loooong way down.


And we’re down. Hells yes. Beautiful freezing water to rest aching feet in



Our next activity apparently....


Off again – back up unfortunately.




And randomly, we found a Tibetan Monastary/Hippie Commune place. Odd.



Setting up camp for the second night



3rd day – on our way towards the finish line



Never, ever been happier to see a road sign! Finished!!


Thanks for stopping by!




3 comments:

  1. susan thwaites5 May 2009 at 19:38

    well done you!!! so proud of you and your speel made me laugh out loud!!! love love love you
    Susan and jemima xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God. The walking/hiking gene has passed to you a la the swine flu. Contagious isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahaha, i have now finished reading every single page of your blog, and i must say, you are quite random, but in a very funny way.
    Congrats on the hiking! It certainly doesn't look very easy, but the views must have been amazing!
    Yours in faithful blog-readingness.....
    tessa... xxxxxx
    (P.S: i will happily tie myself to said rich people with said nice looking yachts. Just send me a ticket to Le France and I'm there ;) )

    ReplyDelete