Sunday, 6 November 2011

Lovely Lyon

Last weekend we enjoyed a wonderful 3-day break in Lyon.

It will probably be our last trip before we head back to Australia in December so we wanted to go somewhere we haven't been and I'm so glad we picked Lyon.

We caught the train and arrived on a slightly overcast but dry Saturday afternoon and after walking to our hotel it was off to explore all that Lyon has to offer.

First stop - FOOD
Lyon is well known as a gastronomic paradise and there were so many lovely chocolate shops, patisseries, restaurants, bouchons, markets etc to explore. One of our first pit stops was Pignol for a warming and reviving hot chocolate and a truly excellent lemon tart.


We had some great meals during our time in Lyon but I was sadly incapacitated when it came to tasting much of the Lyonaisse fare as cured meats, quenelles, soft cheeses, tripes, blood sausages and rare meats are no good for pregnant ladies. (I wasn't too devastated that I couldn't eat the blood sausage!) You'll be pleased to know that M gamely took on the challenge for both of us and put away a whole lot of meaty goodness every meal. To be fair I think he did have a salad for lunch one day ........


There are lots of lovely and interesting things to see and do in Lyon, photos below are just a snapshot of some of the things we did:


The Fourvière basilica 








The view from the Fourvière hill looking over the city




The Roman theatre in Fourvière, the most important remain of the Roman city of Lugdunum.
Check out the beautiful autumnal colours (you know how I get about autumnal colours!!)






SQUIRREL!!! 
(Probably only funny if you have seen the film Up!)




Vieux Lyon (Old Lyon)














The Musée des Beaux Arts



and the view from one of the windows out on to the square



Lots of walks along the Rhône (to the East) and the Saône (to the West)













A visit to the dining "institution" Brasserie Georges, which is the oldest in Lyon (established in 1836) and one of the biggest in Europe! It seats about 800 people - and it was absolutely packed when we were there on a Monday night. The service was still pretty good though and the people watching was excellent. 



M very much enjoyed his enormous plate of Choucroute - the boy seriously goes gaga for pork knuckle! The plate was so large it came with it's own warmer and took up half the table! It was also originally a brewery and they continue to brew their own beer - which M assured me was very good.





Picturesque scenes at night time:





Finally - I have earned a new nickname from M:

Happy Feet


He kept calling me Happy Feet and I couldn't work out why, and then it hit me:



My darling husband thinks I have started to waddle like a penguin.
Charming.


Raj is definitely starting to pop out more, which is cool and I certainly found I had to have a few more sit down breaks when stomping our way around the city. M also felt Raj moving/kicking from the outside for the first time the other day which was pretty special.

If you get a chance to visit Lyon, I would highly recommend it!

B
xxx









3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics! Love the one in the musée - can't decide if you're photobombing the bare assed sculpture or if he's photobombing you. Will have to get myself to Lyon, it looks wonderful (except that pork thing M is eating, that freaks me out).

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY FEET!!! HA HA!!! Love it. Love you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever been through Lyon on the way to somewhere else. I must stop one day, it looks lovely.

    Some super photos - love the amphitheatre and the Autumn colours. Saw lots of those on our weekend to Nice where the sun was shining and the roadside was a show of glowing vibrancy.

    ReplyDelete