Mez was after three things:
- Sunshine
- French food
- Fun times
And I hope M and I were able to deliver.
After picking her up from the Marseille airport on Saturday morning (M was at home watching the replay of the Grand Final – and yes, he was wearing his Crows gurnsey – bien sur!) we made a stop in Aix-en-Provence for a beautiful wander through the old town, a quick shop at the gorgeous Provencal markets and then a long, restful lunch in the sunshine.
Mez was holding up particularly well after about 3 hours sleep, but clearly needed a bit of a rest! Unfortunately there was to be no rest for the wicked. I had hoped to quickly swing past the IKEA in Toulon, as we were pretty close by. This plan was thwarted by the fact that all the roads into Toulon were SHUT due to some strike/Industrial action brou-ha-ha (side note: I am OVER all the Industrial action at the moment – but I’ll save that for another rant/blog) – so we were stuck in traffic for THREE HOURS in a car that was slowly overheating due to the constant idling. We eventually made it out of there by essentially doing a massive U-Turn and heading back towards Marseille and then on to Cannes. ANNOYING.
The rest of her stay was less dramatic (I think) but totally lovely. M proved his worth in the kitchen by cooking us up a delicious roast chicken with all the vegies we’d purchased at the market and Sunday was spent at St Paul (which Mez loved and where she took many beautiful, artistic, cool photos) and then soaking up the sun on the balcony and at the beach.
With both of us heading to work on the Monday, Mez was left to her own devices in Cannes and then cooked us up a stunning Greek-style beef and vegetables dish. Yum-o.
It was incredibly lovely to see her. We’ve worked out that we essentially had the same childhood as we can recite lines to all the same movies and treated M to a delightful rendition of all the musical numbers from The Chipmunk Adventure Movie.
He loved that.
We also traded stories, reminisced about choir and school days and generally talked shit and laughed a lot.
We hope to get up to Scotland soon to see her (and Stu!) again.
I’ll let Mezzle post all the great snaps she took, but here are a few from when we were at the markets in Aix and one of the two of us at St Paul.
Hope to see you soon. xxx
Nice :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm SO over the strikes. Cry babies.
I heart your story. And what's more, not need for me to blog about it now, you've captured the weekend beautifully. Maybe I'll add a few little tid bits at some point, but as right now we have a fucked-up transformer cable for the lap top, that won't be soon (boo!).
ReplyDeleteDid you get my FB message about the photos of St Paul? (DVD contained no files that we could see ...)
Much love to you and the fabulous Mark, may we all do it again sometime sooner rather than long time later.
Mez xoxo
And you probably talked about how cool each of your sisters is hey? Particularly your closest-in-age sisters, Pipi and Holly? Although, Bec, it must be said I am ropable at Miss Holly right now! She came to Melbourne and saw Ali but not me! Perhaps this is not the forum to discuss such things? It's ok Holgen, I semi-forgive you.
ReplyDeletexxxxx