Thursday, 26 November 2009

Hello strangers,

It has been awhile since I put metaphorical pen to metaphorical paper, but it has been another period of delicious busyness, guests and frolicking. Ok, not so very much frolicking, but it sounds fancier if I mention frolicking.

So, what’s been happening? Well, we had two ex-students of mine, Caroline and Billie to stay, which was lots of fun. They are lovely girls and despite two days straight of torrential rain (which simply meant they had to be introduced to the genius that Is Glee – first 7 episodes back to back, oh yeah and a fair bit of reading on the couch time) they got to see a fair bit of the area including, of course, the ubiquitous trip to St Paul. I should apply to the tourism board there for some sort of commission, I’ve actually lost count now how many time I’ve been – but still love it!

We’ve also had a few outings celebrating friends’ birthdays and farewells, including our French friends Antoine and Manuel’s BLING themed party, which was a hoot.

The most significant event was obviously the much anticipated arrival of Barb and Pete. After their return to their old haunts in Paris (FYI, B + P lived in Paris for a few months when the boys were small) they caught the TGV Train down here to us, bringing with them about 10kg of magazines, chocolates, lollies, birthday presents, gorgeous hand knitted scarves and beanies from Ma and Bonds undies – BRILLIANT!! B was also carrying my replacement ring, which is FABULOUS and so sparkly.

We had a great time with them, lots of scenic car trips, some lovely dinners out and in, a couple of really amazing authentic lunches in small, quiet towns and plenty of catching up. B + P went on a few day trips themselves and M was lucky to be able to take 2 days off and there was a public holiday in the middle of it all. So perfect timing really! They are such kind and generous people and I’m very lucky to have them as my in-laws (or mes belles-parents en française which I think sounds prettier) and despite Pete’s cough giving him a bit of grief and M and I having to visit the 8th level of hell, known as the Nice Prefecture, to get our residency cards renewed (process the same as last time, minus the running this time round, but with the added pleasure of a delightful chap in the line in front of us who took a piss against the wall we were all lined up against outside in the cold. Charming fellow.)It was great to have them here and I think they really enjoyed getting to see our local ‘hood and how life is for us here. Pete’s sarcastic conclusion “You guys have it pretty rough!” Oui. On the whole, life is grand.


Billie and Caroline








Dinner for Hannah's Birthday

B + P arrive with goodies galore! Violet Crumble! Cherry Ripes! Caramello Koalas! Allens lollies! YES!!


St Etienne de Tinee - French Alps on Rememberance Day





Up above Ski Village called Auron in the Alps, hopefully heading here around Christmas....when there should be a whole lot more snow


Papa G!

Overlooking the Gorge du Verdon




Drinks for Scottie's farewell

At the hilarious Bling party - where the police came 3 times in one hour


No comments:

Post a Comment