Ha ha - the joke isn't mine but it IS funny.
We had a great time in Venice. I think we can safely say that we saw - if not all of it, a whole large chunk of it. After an early night on the Sunday we got going early on Monday and our aim to simply get lost amongst the many lanes, alleyways and bridges was certainly achieved, which allowed us to stumble upon a multitude of beautiful artisan shops, little squares, dead ends, markets, HUGE groups of tourists - all colour coded and numbered according to their tour group like cattle - Ew, and plenty of sights.
One big let down in Venice was the food. The meals we had varied between ok and rancid, which was disappointing, especially as it wasn't like we were asking for Vietnamese noodles or Sushi, we were ordering Pizza and Pasta - in ITALY, so we hadn't really braced ourselves for the frozen/microwaved/possible poisonous things we were served. The gelati was an exception to this. We were staying on the Lido island - which had a great vibe in itself but quite different to Venice proper, and the gelati shop there - best. Yep, I'm calling it, BEST. And I've done the leg...err..stomach work to qualify this judgement.
I could do a lot, A LOT of damage to the finances in Venice, and when I actually have some moolah, I hope to return. As it was I bought a couple of pairs of Murano glass earrings, a present for Tessa's 13th Birthday (a teenager! I know! How frightening!) some cool, hand pressed "Ex Libris" cards for my beloved books from this AWESOME shop and some cards depicting the Comedia dell'arte characters which I plan to put in a frame. I really liked a few masks but the ones I liked were way mucho expensivo. And I always get a creepy "Eyes Wide Shut" vibe when I look at some of them now too. Damn you Tom Cruise, you ruin EVERYTHING!
The day we spent visiting the glass factories on Murano island - complete with glass blowing demonstration, was brilliant and again, came sooooo close to buying a vase but..., a little voice in my head (that weirdly, sounds an awful lot like a scolding from M) told me not to. I settled for a little fish in a little fish bowl which ... I really like but realise it's rather random. Holly and Lovers payed me out quite unfairly about my little fish. Harsh.
And you know what? In hindsight, I know I'll go back to Venice, and if i really want a Murano glass vase next time, I'll get one, but for now the experience of visiting this amazing, utterly unique and captivating city with my dear friends is enough of a treasure. (aww, aren't I sweet.)
No comments:
Post a Comment